Effective: February 19th, 2019
Shattered Pixel Dungeon, or ShatteredPD refers to the android app ‘Shattered Pixel Dungeon’, which is developed by Shattered Pixel. ShatteredPD can be downloaded from Google Play. Note that this policy only applies to the Google Play version of ShatteredPD. Shattered Pixel does not knowingly receive collected data from distributions of ShatteredPD on any other platforms.
Shattered Pixel, or I refers to the sole developer of ShatteredPD: Evan Debenham. I am the data controller for ShatteredPD on Google Play.
Google refers to Google LLC. Google is the data processor for ShatteredPD on Google Play.
Does Shattered Pixel Collect Personally Identifiable Information?
No. Shattered Pixel does not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information via ShatteredPD or associated services.
What Data is Collected?
The ShatteredPD app itself, by default, performs no data collection of any kind. However, the Google Play version of ShatteredPD offers two optional features which will collect data when enabled: Google Play Games and Google Analytics. Additionally, Google Play itself collects information which is provided to Shattered Pixel.
Google makes various information available to Shattered Pixel via the Google Play Developer Console. This information is collected by Google Play and Google’s handling of this data is governed by their Privacy Policies.
The information provided to Shattered Pixel includes:
- Various statistics relating to installations of the game, such as app version, android version, language, country, etc.
- Information relating to app stability, such as crash reports.
All information presented to Shattered Pixel is aggregated or anonymized and is therefore not personally identifiable.
Google Play Games
Usage of Google Play Games features within ShatteredPD requires that Google Play Services and Google Play Games be installed on a user’s device. Data is reported though these applications, which are governed by Google’s Privacy Policies.
ShatteredPD uses Google Play Games Services to offer the following optional features:
- Cloud-based save game backup via a user’s Google Drive storage.
- Achievements via Google Play Games.
Neither of these features provide any information to Shattered Pixel. The exchange of data is purely between the user and Google.
The following information from users who have enabled Google Play Games is made available to Shattered Pixel via the Game Services Developer Dashboard:
- Statistical information relating to demographics, including age range, country, and gender.
- Statistical information relating to Google Play Games functionality, such as how many players have unlocked achievements.
- Timeline information relating to game events, such as when players unlock achievements, stop playing, or make in-app purchases.
All information is aggregated or anonymized and is therefore not personally identifiable.
ShatteredPD uses Google Analytics to collect data with the aim of improving the game. A user may opt-in to this functionality in order to help support the game by playing it. All data is reported to Google via the Google Analytics for Android SDK, which is governed by Google’s Privacy Policies. Google then makes reports based on this information available to Shattered Pixel via the Google Analytics Console.
These reports include information such as:
- Various statistics relating to gameplay events, such as when items are crafted or upgraded, and when the player ends a run.
- How many unique users have played ShatteredPD within a given period of time.
- User device statistics, such as device models, languages, country, etc.
- Detailed crash and error reports.
All information is aggregated or anonymized, and is therefore not personally identifiable. Note that Shattered Pixel does not make use of Advertising Reporting Features within Google Analytics, and therefore does not collect or make use of a user’s advertising ID or any other unique identifier.
How Is Collected Data Used?
Shattered Pixel uses the information described above to improve decision-making relating to the development and marketing of ShatteredPD.
Examples of development decision-making may include:
- Deciding which technical issues within the game should be fixed at a high priority.
- Making balance changes to characters or items based on their performance/popularity.
Examples of marketing decision-making may include:
- Performing A/B testing to determine which store listing configuration results in the most installs of the game.
- Determining how to best encourage users to make in-app purchases without being intrusive.
- Choosing which language translations to give priority to.
After receiving data from Google, Shattered Pixel does not share it with any third parties.
Shattered Pixel may occasionally share specific details with the public if it relates to the topic of an announcement or blog post. All information which is shared in this manner will be presented in a synthesized form, Shattered Pixel will never share the raw data that is provided to it by Google. An example of this sort of data sharing is this figure, which was shared in this blog post.
Information collected by Shattered Pixel does not have a defined storage duration, as it is not personally identifiable.
What Rights Do I Have?
It is not possible for users to make requests about their data, as said data cannot be tied back to them. Users are however free to disable or opt-out of the optional features of ShatteredPD which collect data, which will immediately disable further data collection.
User rights in relation to Google Play and Google’s processing of their data is described in Google’s Privacy Policies.
Who Can I Contact If I Have Questions?
- Feb 19th, 2019: improved wording in a few places
- Feb 12th 2019: original policy posted