What’s new in v0.9.0?
v0.9.0 is the first in a series of updates that will introduce and build upon a new gameplay system! As your hero levels up you can now spend talent points to give them new or improved abilities! I detailed my design process for the new talent system in a previous blog: Coming Soon to Shattered: Talented Heroes!
Here’s a condensed runthrough of the major changes in v0.9.0. You can check out the changes screen in-game for a fully detailed list.
- v0.9.0 is releasing 61 days after v0.8.2, which released on August 6th 2020
- Heroes can now be customized with talents as they level up!
- A new challenge has been added that amps up enemies in the dungeon!
- Badge visuals have been overhauled with colors based on difficulty.
- Earlygame hero balance tweaks to account for the new talent system.
- Tweaks to existing challenge to reduce the number of items they remove.
- 8 misc changes
- 20+ bugfixes
- Corrected an unintentional buff to wand of frost from v0.8.2.
What’s coming next?
The next update to Shattered Pixel Dungeon will be v0.9.1! As expected, the main content focus of v0.9.1 will be second tier talents, which will span levels 7 to 12! I’m expecting the talents available in tier two to be a bit similar to tier one but without so much emphasis on the early game, which means there’s a lot more room for them to have interesting gameplay interactions.
I’m also planning to spend some of v0.9.1 working on level generation! I overhauled the game’s level generation system waaay back in v0.6.0 (blogs on that here, and here), and haven’t really touched it much since then. The system was designed to be expanded on though, so I’m going to spend some time working on new level layout types, improvements to the current layouts, and maybe a few new room types!
I also plan to keep in eye on how talents and heroes in general perform in v0.9.0, and will make adjustments as needed.
If you enjoy Shattered and want to help me keep making it, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Patrons get access to exclusive weekly mini blogs about upcoming updates, and also help determine content direction through community polls! Patrons are already getting info about future tiers of the talent system, and also helped determine v0.9.1’s secondary focus on level generation.